In November 2014, Krispy Kreme launched its first store in Perth and FORWARD was briefed to promote and manage media relations for the large-scale opening. Based on past Krispy Kreme store opening experiences, we knew there would be a lot of interest from the public, particularly in Western Australia where people have long been bringing Krispy Kreme boxes back in overhead lockers on flights from the east coast.The Launch of Krispy Kreme Perth was awarded Best Campaign with a Small Budget at the 2015 CommsCon Awards.
Our strategy was to build up the hype around Krispy Kreme’s store opening in Perth, leveraging the brand’s cult-like status. This was not just another store opening, and our response to the brief was three-fold:
1. Developing a multi-layered media program with targeted media outlets to ensure mass local media coverage on the day, as well as pre and post the launch. This included securing exclusives with leading media outlets in WA, and developing specific pitches, tailored angles and story ideas. We also prepared for national media coverage, given the expected turn out on the day.
2. Ensuring spokespeople were ready for live and pre-recorded media interviews, developing positive key messages and a detailed issues preparedness plan that included Q&As responding to questions around sweet treat products.
3. Managing media on the ground at the store opening, coordinating interviews with Krispy Kreme spokespeople, the first fans in line and Krispy Kreme’s biggest fan and providing behind-the-scenes access to television film crews.
An unprecedented amount of media coverage was received for the launch of Krispy Kreme in Perth, locally, nationally and internationally, with 118 pieces of coverage reaching 18.9M+ people and 35% of coverage being national/international.
(Note: There was no paid advertising in the build up to the opening)
As a result of massive consumer interest, first day sales results broke a global Krispy Kreme record. With this, FORWARD proactively developed an additional phase, outreaching to media about the world record-breaking sales Krispy Kreme achieved. The continued momentum from previous coverage meant media were highly responsive to the new angle and allowing the hype to continue post launch.
The breakdown of pre, launch and post coverage is below:
– There were 33 pieces of pre-event coverage reaching 4.5M+
– On the launch day there were 45 pieces of coverage reaching 7.9M+
– To date, post-event media coverage is at 40 pieces with a current reach of 6.5M+
Coverage was featured across Tier A print, online and broadcast media. Highlights included:
– The Sunday Times / Perthnow
– The West Australia / WAToday
– Today Tonight Perth
– Channel 9, 7 and 10 Perth news including a Perth Today Show weather cross
– The Project two nights in a row
– Smh.com.au, news.com.au, thetelegraph.com.au, theaustralian.com.au
– Three Buzzfeed articles and a piece on Pedestrian
– Daily Mail Australia and UK
Media outlets and reporters were also socially engaged, tweeting photos and providing live commentary from the event, equating to a social reach of 2.1M+.